US Defense Secretary Pauses Ban on Transgender Troops

UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — Transgender soldiers serving in the United States military will keep their jobs, at least for now.

U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis said on Tuesday, Aug. 29, he will form a panel of experts to figure out how to implement President Donald Trump’s ban on transgender service members.

The original ban on transgender troops was lifted last year under former President Barack Obama but Trump reinstated it Friday, citing cost and disruption.

While transgender citizens can no longer sign up to join the military, the White House left the decision with Mattis of whether to allow those already serving to continue serving.

According to Mattis, the panel of experts will include members of the departments of Defense and Homeland Security. He said they will “provide advice and recommendations” on how to implement the ban.

The BBC said the measure could affect between 4,000 and 10,000 active-duty and reserve service members.