At Least 20 Killed in Attack on Shiite Mosque in Kabul

UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — More than a dozen people are dead following an attack on a mosque in the capital of Afghanistan.

Police said two suicide bombers detonated at a Shiite mosque in Kabul Aug. 25. Another two gunmen then stormed the site.

The assault reportedly lasted for four hours before security forces fatally shot the assailants.

At least 20 worshippers were killed. The head of Kabul’s hospitals said another 50 were seriously wounded, including women and children, and warned the death toll would likely rise.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the bloodshed.

According to The Associated Press, the Taliban denied any involvement and condemned the attack.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani also condemned the violence and said IS fighters have turned to attacking places of worship now that they’ve lost key military positions.

The Sunni extremist group warned last month that it would start attacking Shiite places of worship in Afghanistan.