UNITED NEWS INTERNATIONAL (UNI) — India has reportedly sent more troops to its border with China and raised its alert level as a standoff with Chinese troops enters its eighth week.
The standoff began June 16 when Indian troops entered territory claimed by both China and India’s ally Bhutan.
Bhutan reportedly requested Indian intervention to halt China’s construction of a road that India views as a security threat.
Since then, Chinese and Indian troops have faced off a few hundred feet from each other with neither side backing down and diplomatic efforts proving unsuccessful.
Unnamed government officials told the Press Trust of India that additional troops are being sent to the border, but not the Doklam Plateau, where the standoff is taking place.
Additionally, an unnamed source told Reuters Indian border troops are in a state called “no war, no peace,” in which soldiers take up the same positions they would in the case of a war.